A Brief History
It began with the devastating Hurricane of 1926. The storm left the new city of Miami Beach flooded, covered in sand and devoid of foliage. To restore the tree canopy, a group of determined women organized the gathering of seedlings, placed them in Dixie Cups, distributed them and planted them. This initial restoration project, The Dixie Cup Campaign, grew and the following year, 1927, these smart and visionary women formed the Miami Beach Garden Club.
Since that auspicious beginning, the Miami Beach Garden Club has developed and carried out numerous campaigns. In 1962, the magnificent Miami Beach Botanical Garden was a direct result of initiatives and campaigning by the Club Members.
The Miami Beach Garden Club has been instrumental in providing education in horticulture throughout the city. The members have provided programs to the children at many schools including: Marian Center, Miami Country Day School, North Beach Elementary, Miami Beach High School, Casa dei Bambini local Girl Scout Troops. We also have offered gardening assistance to the elderly at the Bay Oaks Home, Pine Tree Community Gardens, and New Journey’s Home. We continue to sponsor young leadership through our contributions at Camp Wekiva & SEEK.
Those long ago seedlings have taken root and flourished. Our beautification and conservation programs continue to mature. The unfolding history of the Miami Beach Garden Club continues to blossom.